Joining us today is Abner Kurtin who is CEO, Chairman and Co-Founder of Ascend Wellness Holdings (AWH). Abner’s background is as an investor – starting at the highly regarded Baupost and moving on to starting his own hedge fund. He raised $50M to invest in the cannabis space before switching gears a
Publish Date: Sep 08, 2021
There are currently no snippets from #109 - Creating Value by Going Deep in Key States (ft. Abner Kurtin, CEO of Ascend Wellness).
Snippets are an easy way to highlight your favorite soundbite from any piece of
audio and share with friends, or make a trailer for Cannabis Investing Network
There are currently no playlists containing this audio.
Add this audio track to one of your playlists
Joining us today is Abner Kurtin who is CEO, Chairman and Co-Founder of Ascend Wellness Holdings (AWH). Abner’s background is as an investor – starting at the highly regarded Baupost and moving on to starting his own hedge fund. He raised $50M to invest in the cannabis space before switching gears and Co-Founding Ascend in 2018.
In only 3 years Ascend has become a top player in IL with an eye to repeating the model in NY, NJ and Mass (the company is also in MI and OH).
In this episode we discuss:
- Abner’s Investment Background: What he learned working at Baupost
- Raising $50M to Invest in Cannabis: The 3 Key Factors Abner looked for in each deal
- Why Investing in MSOs like Grassroots, GTI, Pharmacann made sense
- Starting Ascend – Being opportunistic in MA and IL
- How AWH became a top player in IL alongside GTI, Cresco & Verano
- The importance of being scaled and vertical in every market
- NJ: How AWH got started and why NJ will be the story of 2022
- What to look forward to in NY and how the state is progressing
- Is slow uplisting a risk or opportunity to the cannabis space?
- Why is capital allocation so important in this industry?
- The Future of Ascend: Acquiring, Merging or Selling the company
Thank you to Abner for joining us for this jam-packed interview
You can find more information on AWH including past earnings calls at: https://awholdings.com/investors/