Episode 57: Becoming a Thought Leader w/Dr. Carmen Landrau
This week next level Doc Carmen Landrau and I took the conversation to another level as we chatted about being a thought leader.
Highlights from the conversation:
● Cardiologist from Houston, Texas. Born in Puerto Rico
● Opened her solo cardiology practice 10 years ago
● Keynote speaker on women's empowerment and leadership. Speaker coach
Current situation of speakers
● Speakers were used to traveling, but now due to COVID a lot of new opportunities have opened up online. Virtual events, online coaching… A lot happens when recording and behind the scenes. We are still learning as we go.
● An MC makes or breaks an event. The MC is the one on the spotlight, the one who sets the tone and pace of the event, and works hand in hand with the event planner. If there are sales in the event, the MC can negotiate getting a percentage.
What is considered a thought leader?
● Not necessarily a big following, but someone who has a voice. Someone who expresses opinions that a number of people identify or leads people to think in a different way. A lot of thought leaders don’t realize they are thought leaders.
● A thought leader starts by opening people’s eyes. First, in a one-on-one conversation, then when two people are present, then a group, and then an audience. It’s a process. Thought leaders don’t grow up thinking that they want to be thought leaders, but they do want to change the world by making an impact.
● Thought leaders are not in the spotlight necessarily because they like the attention, but because they carry the huge responsibility of transmitting an important message.
Thing to consider if you want to be a thought leader:
● What’s your purpose? Have it clear.
● Always keep in mind that your words have an impact, and you can influence a lot of people.
● Be responsible with your message and your mission.
● Stop for a minute and think of the best way you can transmit your message, so one gets confused.
● Believe that you are heard and that you are able to make a change.
● There's not one straight path. Know your weaknesses and work on them, and potentiate your abilities.
● You can always change your direction and advocate for something else.
● You don’t necessarily have to be in front of a big audience. You can have a blog, podcast, website, do videos, etc.
● Do what you are comfortable with, but don’t be afraid to step a bit of your comfort zone from time to time.
Catch up with Dr. Landau by visiting her at any of these platforms.
SOCIAL MEDIA HANDLES:
See you on the next one!
Looking for a Coach or Mastermind to Join? Ready to Take Your Career, Business, and Life to the Next Level? If you want to Learn more about Dr. Maiysha's coaching, courses, and masterminds. Visit www.DrMaiysha.com. Choose from of our Free Mini Online Masterclasses on Mindset Mastery, Manifestation, and Next Level Entrepreneurship Right on the Home page to start your journey now.